Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Doughnut Eater and other stories

My sketch of Baba Yaga



About five years ago I did an exhibition entitled: The Doughnut Eater and other stories.  The centerpiece of the exhibition was the following collection of mixed media paintings. 

  They arose from a sketch I had done of Baba Yaga at the suggestion of an art teacher.   We were asked to take a personality from a childhood story and do an art project.  Monsieur had, at that point, told me about the tales of Baba Yaga, a Russian witch and she struck my imagination.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_Yaga 

So I chose what I imagined a modern Baba Yaga would look like and one thing led to another…..

 I ended up depicting some creatures who seemed to have been chomping on a jelly doughnut with raspberry filling.  So I started calling them " The Doughnut Eaters".

  Here in France it was the "mangeurs de beignets."  I also call the grouping " the monster series" as one of my friends dubbed them thus. ( Did I just say thus?)   I sold the last one to the well known street artist who comes to Nice every year, Omar Logang.   He says it reminded him of "the scream" by Munch.   He is a very good painter so I was flattered.


Mixed media on oil paper, 50x40 cm

 














"The scream"  sold




No comments:

Post a Comment