Sunday, April 13, 2014

Footfall : linocut


Ok, so I have been slacking off on my blog lately but that doesn't mean that I haven't been in my studio.  It just means that the process of art got more interesting than the reporting of it. 

 And besides the studio was getting out of hand and I had to do a big clean-out. 

But I have a new series to show you.  I call this one "footfall".   It just means that I took a look at where my"foot fell" and realized how interesting the different elements were there and of course, like any illustrator I added and subtracted as I drew.    I have a whole series of footfall photos now. 




 Here is the original photo that was a shot taken in Sweden years ago. I really can't remember if it is my photo or Aksel's.  Aksel and Hanne were the Danish couple I was privileged to live with during my " junior year abroad" program at university. 





 And here is the reverse drawing that I did of the images so that when it was used as a print it would be printed in the sense of  the top photo.


And here is the carved "lino plaque" after many prints have been pulled. 





detail of lino block

And below is the result having rolled it out with black ink on BFK Rives paper. 





Now starts the fun part:  I conceived this print to be hand painted with water colors. 

  Here is what I came up with.  At the last minute I decided that I like the print as a vertical too so I signed some of them like that. 















3 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Its a complex process that you have done very well. Impressive.

    Bruce B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these…

    Ronni

    ReplyDelete