Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Two Girlfriends: Tamara de Lempicka



This is a copy that I did while living in Italy.  It was a small painting by Tamara Lempicka.  The original painting is 20x30 cm but I copied it to measure 60x115 cm.  I felt it could really use the size and I can't imagine enjoying it as much in the small proportions. 


 I found an image of the original painting on the blog:  Conchiglia di venere http://conchigliadivenere.wordpress.com/category/lempicka-tamara-de/

Oil on Canvas, 20x30, Tamara de Lempika


There is something really clever about this painting.  Notice the knee and the foot position on the nude facing us.  It is an optical illusion that the hip would be this high. Try to bend your foot like that foot depicted. It is foreshortened and at an odd angle.    Certainly Lempicka, a master ( mistress?) of composition,  did this to give drama to the painting.  

   I lightened up the painting and changed the hues slightly.   I hope Lempika would have approved my messing with her ingenuity. 

2 comments: