Sunday, February 7, 2016

Nice old town: linocut


I am very fond of this photo that my brother took when he visited us in Nice.  It shows the typical architecture of the old town which dates back to the 19th centuries built upon an older version of "la vieille de ville" de Nice . 
 I have rendered this photo almost directly as a lino cut engraving.  I debated whether or not to add the electrical boxes.  A couple of friends voted against them and I edited them out mainly as I thought they took the eye away from the graceful lamp arm but I kept some of the wires for their graphic playfulness. 


Photo of Nice Old Town by John R Puckett


Linocut by Mary M Payne: Nice Old Town
This is the first attempt I rendered in umber.


Hand painted Linocut:  by Mary M Payne


This next attempt is hand colored with watercolors


Chine Colle and lino cut by Mary M Payne


This one has a piece of fine Japanese paper behind the ink print.  See my post called "Chine colle"  for the technique.


Two- colored linocut by Mary M. Payne



I think my favorite though is this mustard colored ink that I put down first before I rolled the lino cut of the house siding. Perhaps it's too dark but it has a grizzly feeling that I like. It brings out the rustic scratches of the gouge markings and echoes the burnt oranges of the area.  

 As Monsieur always says: "There's an ass for every seat".  Take your pick. 


No comments:

Post a Comment