Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Linocut: "Redhead"

At one point I worked on some simple sketches to see what I could do with linocut and the nude.  The results seemed a bit boring in black and white so I did a series of "caches"… cardboard cut outs that I used to block off some areas while printing others. 

 As I recall, I made three stencils and rolled on one color at a time…. blocking off the rest of the print.       I did this in four separate printings on a book press which is not ideal.    First the colors , each one printed on the paper, then last,  I superimposed the print of the girl rolled out in black ink. 


  In those days before the use of the large press we have in the studio now, we did our alignment "au pif" which means.."by using guesswork".  Still we managed to do a lot of prints that way but now I am spoiled and wouldn't go through that again.    





                               I call this one "Redhead".  

No comments:

Post a Comment