Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Golden bird



It is March 9 ,  absolutely a Spring day ( and Emma's bd).  I was out in the garden the first time this year, rootling around just to be outdoors… and so this seemed the right piece for today.

I think that this painting started as a flower picture because I have two more similar paintings that I did on the same day and they are both of flowers .   

 It was at least ten years ago and I was using an old technique of crayon resist which has to do with ink not adhering to the paper where wax crayon has gone down before.   I also remember blocking off bits of the painting with cut-outs and using spatter painting with a toothbrush.  I should have taken down some notes as I don't really remember .

At some point, I started seeing images of birds on the page and that is when  I started pushing the design to be three birds in perhaps a bird bath ( a basin) and a tree. 

  It's the feeling of glorious spring, and color and exuberance that caught me…  a painting that got away from me…I just love when that happens.

This painting was exhibited in the Musee d'art Naif in Nice as part of a student exhibition. 



1 comment:

  1. Your instincts were spot on. The painting sings.

    Bruce B.

    ReplyDelete