Saturday, February 3, 2018

Cells: Final series

Cells by Mary M Payne, 24x32, Collage on Canson paper




In this next series I continued the idea of kitchen papers, looking for a thinner version of "wax paper".  The only candy and pastry papers I found for sale in France had logos or words on them so I found a package of thin sheets used to separate slices of hamburger and bought them from Amazon.co.uk.  


My mark making in this last series uses a stencil for the ovals in the backgrounds .  The cell-like shapes that appears on the sulphur square is made by touching down lightly with a roller full of black acrylic.   Then I glued the transparency onto a piece of light weight Canson paper so we can better see the piece. 

   The explorations of an artist are much like those of a scientist.  We try everything until we find an effect that pleases. 


 A few cell shaped cutouts add the final touches to these collages.   The substrate paper here is textured paper by Ingres.   




"Cells" by Mary m Payne,  24x32cm

Collage by Mary M Payne, 24x32cm

Collage by Mary M Payne, 24x32cm

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, I am enjoying your printmaking art. Of this four of cells, I like the second one best because it is a bit lighter. I am not personally fond of a lot of black, though in my printmaking, I used it. I just like the placement, also. There is another set I have not opened yet.
    Keep the art coming.

    Love, Iris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Iris, for joining in. I love any feedback. My tendency is to splash lots of color around but I am favoring more neutrals lately. I got very fond of black when learning printmaking... especially intaglio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say that I just caught up on your art blog, and I love the last series, which looks like shells to me. Really good. I love all your work and am constantly surprised as you are always doing something completely new! Maybe you should open a gallery...or show it online. The shell series would kill on the west and east coasts of the US...

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, thanks so much for joining my site. And for seeing the shells. I see them now too. In fact I started out with the idea of the stones we have on the beach here in Nice ( galets) but realized that I could put more variety if I added a nucleus. But the concept of shells is poetic. I like it.

      Delete