Sunday, February 4, 2018

SHADOW; OMBRE PORTEE

Shadow :( card, bleach, ink, acrylics, wood) collage 24x32cm on Canson paper by Mary M Payne


This is the next series of mixed media experiments I did last year based on the theme that was given:  The Cast Shadow or Ombre Portee.    My instructor asked us to use the idea of "shadow" in our work in any way and with any medium.  

In this case I used a photo to make cut-outs of a rocking chair that was casting a shadow on my garden wall.  This photo is very deceiving as what you think is the leg of the chair is actually an arm.  WE don't see the legs and one of the rockers that we do see is that weird "blade" that appears on the slats.  ( See below.)   But this shadow translates as "chair" and that was good enough for me. 

I think the brain makes quick connections of what it wants to see.  And with this photo, I want to see CHAIR.


Photo of chair casting a shadow on the garden wall


Shadow of a shadow, collage on Canson 24x32cm by Mary M Payne

I used various backgrounds and materials and tools ( the background above is painted with a feather) to play with my chair shadow all the while experimenting with various kinds of paste and glue.  

I get the feeling that one of the biggest challenges for a collage artist is the search for the appropriate glue for paper, wood or any other choice of surface.    I  used paper here.  If the glue is too strong it will buckle the receiving paper,  if too weak it won't stick.   I have about 5-6 different glues and gels now that I use . 



Shadow:(, acrylic, pencil, ink , rubber stamp), 24x32 cm.  collage by Mary M Payne


Next  I used a photo of the cast shadow of our balustrade as a background to show another shadow effect.



Shadow : collage by Mary M Payne


And of course I placed the chair in various positions on the page .   Why not?



Shadow :( canvas, acrylics, ink):  collage by Mary M Payne



Shadow, ( japanese paper, acyrlics) collage by Mary M Payne


 Shadow,  collage by Mary M Payne


 Shadow , collage by Mary M Payne


This whole exercise felt pretty infantile, using scissors again and paste.... but I want to believe that the closer we get to our "child" artist, the more we work towards our authentic voice.   Well,  anyway,  that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. 

4 comments:

  1. I like your theory. These are very sweet. The chairs of course remind me of the blue chairs along the Promenade. I’m sure they bring different memories to others, one of the great things about art.

    Ginna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following, Ginna. It means a lot to have feedback and acknowledgement. Yes, I should do the blue chairs sometime. They are iconic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary: I especially like the last one with all the movement in the background. It suggests fall to me, with gray branches and the dying leaves swirling in the fall winds. Like sitting on the back patio with a chair and watching the leaves whirling and coming down. I also like the one that had the background done with a feather. It too has a lot of movement to me.
    Love that you are sharing your work, and I can comment what speaks to me the most.

    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last one also was done with a feather. I find feathers in the yard mostly from collared doves and use those. I think I will use them more often now that you mention the two you liked, both done with feathers. I love your poetic description, Iris. I think we all identify with the idea of sitting in a chair reflecting or resting or just being. Thanks for your feedback. It is spurs me on.

    ReplyDelete