Wednesday, February 7, 2018

The cast shadow, Lino-cuts

Linocut: "Shadow of a Shadow" by Mary M Payne 24x32 on BFK Rives

This next trio of prints are linocuts that I made for the Shadow Project.  I started with a cardboard cut-out of a shadow photo of the balustrade and the chair and cast the shadow again and took another photo of it so it is really "the shadow of a shadow".    That was the inspiration for two lino blocks that were carved and printed on the same page. 


Shadow of a Shadow, linocut by Mary M Payne 

I used regular oil based printers ink but used transparent ink to lighten one of the blues to get the affect you see in these last two.   I like the extra marks made by the wood cutting tools I use to cut linoleum.  That is almost always the sign of a linocut.  

  I think I could have gone further with different colors etc but I am so interested in new techniques now that "lino" printmaking has take a back seat for  now.  No pun intended



Linocut: Shadow of a Shadow by Mary M Payne

4 comments:

  1. Mary: I really like the second one, with the transparent overlay. And I like the suggestion of grasses. Nice.

    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Iris for responding, I like the grasses idea better than a pure abstract. It's wonderful that everyone finds something different in a piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve been viewing your art works sent to my email from “blogger”. I like your Cells series, especially the ones with a lot of blue in them. I also enjoyed your journal pages, samples of which you sent several months ago. Have you done any more of them since? They’re so warm and personal; I feel they’re more accessible to me as an art ignoramus.


    Leo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, but I feel close to my art journals too but I know that some of the teachers at my school would not consider them art. ....but possibly "decoration". But what can be more personal or authentic than an art journal so yes, I will post some more pages. I feel slightly embarrassed by them but really it shows all that I am learning. Thanks for following, Leo.

    ReplyDelete